"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ~Marcus Aurelius

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Crab Mentality

It's been a long couple of months of waiting for the result of the nursing board exam & it finally came Sunday morning. Of the 64,909 takers, who included first-timers, repeaters and voluntary "re takers," 31,275 — or 48% — passed the exam .

My sister didn't make it . I was sad for her & I could only imagine how she felt.We were talking at yahoo messenger that same night & I was trying to be strong & encouraging for her & although I was in tears while typing on the keyboard, I know that I have to make sure that she understand that it is not over for her , that there is another chance. She can take the exam in December again & that is only like 4 months away . Her spirits were so low & I could sense only a hint of hope from her. She's ready to throw the towel & walk away. How I wish I could be there so I could hold her & assure her that everything is gonna be alright.

I understand why she's feeling that it's the end of the road for her.I blame those people that surrounds her ( not my parents but related to us) who were telling her even before the test result came out that she should just find a job as a care giver in other countries. I was so mad at these people that I wanted to pick up the phone & just scream at their faces. How dare them crush my sister's dream!!! How could you possibly tell a young lady that she will never become what she'd hope for!!! How can these people act like they know what's best for my sister!!! They were feeding her w/ falls information telling her that she will have a better chance if she in the middle east ( were there is WAR!! ) or in Japan. I had to show her this article to convince her that it's not true .
This is a classic example of Crab Mentality : describes a way of thinking best described by the phrase "if I can't have it, neither can you." The metaphor refers to a pot of crabs in which one tries to escape over the side, but is relentlessly pulled down by the others in the pot
They are jealous because they know that my sister have a bright future ahead of her & that she will have all the things that others will never in their life time.

I'd like to think that I have persuaded her enough & that she will continue her bout & that she will this failure as a lesson that will make her stronger & smarter the next time around.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your sistes not passing the board exam. I know how it feels and I understand what she's going through now. It's good that you're there to console her and tell her not to give up because she still have the chance to pass it next time she takes the board.

As to your relatives who are trying to put her down, let them say what ever they want to say and sabihin mo dedmahin nya nalang kasi the more na nagagalit ka sa kanila because of what they're talking about the more na parang may humahadlang sa mga plano mo. Just let them talk and let her move forward at magbingi-bingihan nalang sa mga sinasabi nila. And one more thing also that I can advise is not to let them know whatever she's planning to do kasi minsan pagka ipinamamalita mo at maraming nakakaalam sa mga plano mo nauudlot and proven ko na yan, LOL!

Good luck to her and I hope and pray that she'll make it the next time she takes the board exam.

~Mheldz said...

Hi Sands,
Sorry sa delayed response. Ang dami kasi bigla ng post ko di ko tuloy nakita comments mo.

Hay nakuh , misan di ko maintindihan ang pag uugali ng ibang tao. I am so different from most of my realtives & family kc di ako pwede diktahan at di pwede pauto & for that maraming galit sa akin and I don't care what they think about me. Pero ang kapatid ko is very naive..di pa nya kaya mag isip for herself & she sometimes listen to other people not realizing that they are giving her wrong ideas.

Sana nga & I'm praying really hard na maka raos sya sa Dec. I really want my sister to come here in the US & being an RN is her big chance.

Take care :)