"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ~Marcus Aurelius

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Food Critique ~ Chinese Food In America

I've wanted to write about this topic a long time ago but it kept slippin' off of my mind but last Sunday was the last straw . I was just sick & tired of getting the same nasty crap they so called Chinese food here. I been to many Chinese restaurant & none of them serves authentic dish. Even the most expensive one didn't even came close. My DH knows the look on my face when I see the food in front of me & I just could just tell without even taking a tiny bite that it's gonna taste awful . I guess he kinda have a respect for my expertise *wink* in this world renowned food coz you get that when you've lived in China for over 5 years . Okay 'nough about me .So here are some pics of the food that I'm talking about.


Chinese Pork bbq ( Cha Su ). Looks OK but it's so dry you'd think you're chewing on styrofoam.



This is how it should look like & I bet this one's are tender,juicy & tasty like it should be .

DH ordered his favorite general Tao's chicken . I didn't want to spoil his appetite but I sure felt like I'm gonna go into a cardiac arrest just by looking at it.It has so much breading & oil. I wanna make sure that my guess was right so I tasted it & sure enough it was loaded w/ sugar & batter & the fried rice , gees, lord only knows how long that rice have been kept in the fridge before it ended up in the wok.


1.5 star for this one Gen Tao's Doesn't Have Too Much Batter


Chinese food , the real one , are not only tasty & delicious but also healthy & nutritional.
I'm not giving up just yet. I'm sure somewhere out there I'll find a restaurant that serves
good ( maybe even close to original) Chinese food.

Happy Eating !!!

4 comments:

Mommy said...

Mel I agree with you iba ang chinese food dito sa US even i havent been to china pero compared lng sa chinese food sa PInas mas masarap kahit si Abs he knows the difference ang chinese food dito at sa atin.

~Mheldz said...

Hi Sarah,
It's very disppointing di ba?? Even a pricy restuarant here couldn't come close to the food that you can get at a small sidewalk food stall in China,HK or Singapore. I don't mind spending15-20$ per dish if it's good pero hindi eh. Si Grant pa naman palagi gusto kanin tsaka chinese food hihihiiii mas malakas pa kumain nh kanin yun kesa sa akin.

vanessa said...

Mel don't hold your breath, richard and i too are disappointed with what they call chinese here. When you know and taste the real deal it's hard to settle to a copycat especially on food. You're right, real chinese food from china is healthy and great tasting, if there's any asian food we would like to have everyday it's beijing food. Not that filipino food is not good only that anything fry and soupbase chinese has more variety in taste and dishes.Richard does have few filipino favorites only when i make them though(of course i can never replaced pinakbet with anything else). That's why i don't dream about it coz i can just make it instantly here at home. We're not patrons of chinese food here in the states. As richard would describe it "it's terribely awful". If it's not sweet it's full of batter and oil(ewww). Americanized chinese food.. How they make it here i can basically make it in my kitchen so what's the point of buying. I am much VERY disappointed as you are gurl. When you find one that comes close let me know.

~Mheldz said...

Van
Oo nga pala , you stayed in China for a while kaya alam mo din ang tamang lasa mh chinese food.
Alam mo nami-miss ko yung mga noodle soup tsaka sea food dishes sa China. Nope so far wala pa akong nadi-discover na maayos na chinses resto dito :(