"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ~Marcus Aurelius

Friday, August 31, 2007

Playground Politics

There's this wonderful play area that we go to regularly. I love it coz it's very safe, far away from the road,well kept, has a clean bathroom, lots of tress, benches & picnic table ,it has a big tent that covers the whole play area to keep dry from the rain & a big parking lot.

Since the beginning of summer vacation we go there almost everyday. I observed that everyday there are different groups of parents & kids that gather around on the picnic table. For instance I noticed that every Thursday afternoon , a group of Indian moms are there, on Wednesday Japanese & maybe Hispanic groups on Tuesday. So everyday we see different nationalities & I've yet to see any Filipino group. For what reason I don't know .I started to wonder because I've feeling left out more & more whenever my kids had to share the play area w/ these kids & since we don't belong to their group we are outsiders , or at least that's how I see my daughter gets treated . It hurts for a parent to see their child struggles to fit in .Instead of just going there & have fun , she has to assess first if she can play w/ whatever group of kids who's there at that day of the week.

Being an outsider to the group is just one of the problem that I see. Another one is those moms or parents who go there to chit-chat or read or talk on their cellphones. In other words, they stop paying attention to their kids ones they sit their butts on the benches , enjoying the sun & whatever that occupies their thoughts. On the other hands, their kids are bullying my kids & I had to stand there & make sure my kids don't get hurt or get into an accident because some kids can't behave in a public play area.

Maybe one day I'm gonna get into a fight with some parent but I'm ready for that coz I wont let my kids get pushed around. I don't judge people & I believe we all care deeply about our kids but we should also never forget to be considerate of others & as a parents our number one role is to guide them & if our kids are doing something bad, we can't just ignore it because we are too busy chatting up w/ our friends etch etch..

I think we will still keep going to that park no matter what coz it's for everyone & anyone. I just have to be more vigilant in watching my own kids and maybe someday there'll be a Filipino group in that park that will welcome us.



Her Favorite Tree


Down The Slide

No comments: