"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ~Marcus Aurelius

Monday, October 15, 2007

My New Fall Project

I love Autumn .It brings a different feeling like the calm that you need after the long riotous summer months. I love the changing of the green leaves into red,yellow & gold and the gentle cold breeze that feels so good upon your face. But Autumn here in the northwest can be too gloomy & melancholy because there comes freezing rain & all day long over cast sky. It's has been like that for days now & the weather man doesn't seems to have a sunny news for us till next week.I have been used to the rain in the Philippines during the wet season. Thunderstorms & typhoon , heavy fat rain & some times rain all month long but it's the same kind of feeling as it is here in Oregon. It can be overly depressing to some that is why our state & nearby Seattle has the most number of suicides especially during this cold rainy days.



I wonder how we survived the last autumn & winter seasons? When we first got here , we didn't have cable only internet & I still didn't know how to drive. That must be hard but somehow we managed to get through. This time it will be better for sure. I can take the kids to the store with out getting cold & damped and we have so much stuff to do.
Lots of movies to watch , thanks to Netflix ,Kids are busier now at school and me...well...that's is what this post is all about. I know I would never ran out of things to do to occupy my time .Our armoire for instance has now turned gray instead of it's rich brown color due to dust that is thickening by the day.You can write your name if you want but that is not what I am looking for. My creative bone was telling me something. I was feeling the urge to construct & be artistic los. My feet seems like a mind of it's own too & seems to be in connivance with my brain and took me to the place where my imagination can be materialized. .

First , I was just looking plainly at the craft section of my favorite thrift store & I found cute gift wraps for a dollar each and I thought ," Hhmmm...I could use this to decorate a shoe box for letter storage" . My daughter helped me with the project & I let her put the design. The next day , I went back & saw some bright red boxes that looked so perfect for paper works & documents that's been piling up over the years . I bought 3 of them coz it's only 3 dollars each.I printed out some labels & was delighted that not only our papers are sorted our but they are also tucked in some very pretty red boxes. Organizing is now so much fun .


My Big Red Storage Box For Only $3.Fits All of Our Docs



360 Pages Of Scrapbook Papers For Only $8 At Costco.What A bargain!


Okay , So now every time I'm at the store , I go straight to the craft isle & excited to see if they have anything on sale or something pretty that I could use.Last week I was at Target & I saw that they have scarp book kits for beginners on sale , for a buck each. I got so thrilled to see all those beautiful papers , ribbons, stickers and artsy embellishments. I ended up spending maybe about 20 bucks that day and this time I didn't show it to my daughter coz I'm sure she will insist on helping . I wanted to do more research coz I know it's not just about cutting papers & pasting pictures. I checked DIYNET.COM and found a ton of information about scrapbooking. I thought I'm gonna be discouraged but it was the opposite. I am even more motivated to make my first scrapbook. We got over 5 gigs of pictures in our computer &; I wanted to preserve them coz anything could happen to a machine plus what if there's no power & you want to show pictures to your friends & family. Oh boy, now I'm totally hooked!!!


I've learned that you have to use an acid free & lignin free papers & glue so it wont affect the pictures . I also discovered that Costco has the best quality photo printing. I selected our pictures in chronological order and reprinted them. Michaels & Joann's has so many selections of materials I feel like a kid at a candy store. I found really cute albums at Ross for a fraction of a cost and even found picture frames , another thing that I like to collect! So far I must have spent quite a bit on my project & I have not even started yet but it's okay. I wanted to do it right & I know it's not gonna be as perfect as what they show on TV but I know I can do something that will be satisfying to me plus , I know that our memories will be kept nicely & hopefully , the next generation will appreciate their past.

5 comments:

Bless said...

Hi Mel! We will be neighbor soon and I will experience that gloomy weather you said in Washington State. I have to line up things to do so I will not get bored :-) Maybe I can join your scrapbooking too but I am not an artsy kind of person :-( But I will try that one day, really.

Anonymous said...

Mel, I love organizing pero I have to be in the mood for it. Pero ang sarap ng feeling afterwards di ba? I think I have a red storage box like that but I didn't get the bargain price. Lucky you!

~Mheldz said...

Bless,
Moving is hectic so you'd be pretty occupied for a while for sure so don't worry about boredome for now. Seattle is pretty & it's only a few hours drive from here. It's possible to meet soon :)


Ger,
Me too. I got fed up with too much paper junks & spending hours to find important papers. You'll never notice but as time passes by , the shoe box is no longer big enough for all the docs :).
I'm gonna go back to that store & buy more of those boxes coz I saw the same kind at Target & it's about 13$ , I think. Plus red is a lucky color :)

Mommy said...

alam mo sis trip ko yang scrapbooking kaso mahal nmn eh LOL. Kaasar pag kulang sa anda tulad ko walang anda hehehe kaya mga plano ko d ko magawa gawa.

~Mheldz said...

Sarah,
Nakakalibang mag scrapbook & you can start out simple & the way u can save is if you know some other girls who does scarpbooking & you can get together & share materials & ideas. Naisip ko kc baka magkasunog or what not , I'd like to have our precious pics preserved for the next ka apo-apuhan to see :)