"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ~Marcus Aurelius

Sunday, November 18, 2007

In A Festive Mood

I am partially done with my Thanksgiving dinner shopping.
Saturday morning at your favorite warehouse store ( such as Winco or Costco)on the week before one major holiday is like being in mad house with shoppers all armed with their crumpled shopping lists and a serious look on their faces that I could describe as "Get Out Of My Way Or I'm Gonna Run You Over With My Cart And I'm Not Kidding". Emotions run high as every one has this unified mission : To Find The Perfect Turkey. For a foreigner like me , it is a daunting task .The whole process of planning the meal ,shopping,cooking and clean ups and most of all , the one thing that only worries me is " Are they gonna be impressed with the meal that I make?" That is my ultimate goal : To deliver a satisfying and delicious meal for my family at Thanksgiving. So in order to achieve this goal , I made a game plan and menu for Thursday dinner.

Saturday till Wednesday : 17lb frozen turkey will be thawing in the fridge till ready to be prepared and roasted.
Monday: General Cleaniing.Vacuuming , dusting, putting away clutters , checking all the bathrooms are clean and supplies replenished and make sure that all the dishes , serving platters and silver wares are good to go.I also have to get haircut.
Tuesday: Go to discount store and find good deals with holiday decors such as wreath,candles etch etch.Whatever I could find to make the house looks very festive.
Wednesday : In the morning,get all the fresh ingredients such as veggies,fruits , dairy and must not forget drinks and wine.At night start baking the desserts and the brining of the bird.

I do hope that I could get everything set to go before Thursday so we could all just relax and feast all day Thursday.

My Menu is simple and traditional but I always want to add a little bit of extra touch so I am brining my turkey the night before to guarantee flavor,tenderness and juiciness. I've never tried this process before so I'm nervous but hey, there's always the first time. My MIL is bringing the stuffing and mash potatoes so that's saves me a lot of time to do other meal.


Thanksgiving Dinner Menu:

Appetizers : Cheese platters (Gorgonzola ,brie,swizz and sharp cheddar)
Assorted Olives , pickles , crackers and some fruits
Side Dishes :Broccoli Casserole with Mushrooms and cheese
Asparagus wrapped in bacon and souted with some shallots & sprinkle of
toasted almonds,Creamy Mashed potatoes and corn bread muffin
Main Course : Roasted Turkey with Gravy , stuffing and cranberry sauce
Desserts : we have 3 different pies .Pumpkin ,apple and pecan pie. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream on top.

We have movies that we plan on watching after dinner. Movies for us adults and for the kids so I think its gonna be a fun and relaxing day.My alarm clock is set to go off at 4am and you know why?? Black Friday!! yes, in deed. My dear sweet husband agreed to babysit the kids while me and girl pal Sonia go shopping without interruption. That should be lots of fun.

I hope you guys have a fun and exciting Thanksgiving.


--------------------------------------------------------
Got Some Awards

I'd like to thank Bless for giving me these awards. Its really sweet and thoughtful.Don't know if I deserve it but I gladly accept it :)

7 comments:

Tess said...

sounds like a perfect plan for thanksgiving, enjoy it! BTW, i also got you same awards at: http://www.tessjokebox.us/2007/11/awards-from-jolens.html, i believe u deserve it! TC!

~Mheldz said...

Hi Tess,
senkyu-senkyyu sa award. sana ako din may maibigay na award sa iyo . Happy Thanksgiving.'


Hi Ger,
Welcome kayo mag tahnksgiving d2 , I have a big enough turkey to feed a whole barangay lols..tsaka Evan and Shinjo can play together. Wouldn't that be fun?
Don't worry if you miss Black Friday , I'm sure there be a few more major sales event before the year is over. I'm taking advantage of the Friday event coz of my friends availability. Like what you child care provider's says, its more fun to shop with a friend on Black Friday.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family too. Hugs to Evan , the handsome!

vanessa said...

Gurl, sounds like there's a lot people coming over. I'm pretty that will leave u plenty of leftover. Happy cooking. Ako little turkey lang and gravy for little matthew, glad i don't have to put up xmas stuff this year, no shopping either. We are doing it this week(mostly electronics) for family in phil and more shopping when we get there too.

Anonymous said...

Te mel,

galing naman! Sarap cguro ng dinner mo. Kami dito , makikain nlang haha! We will have a long weekend with my inlaws after thanksgiving. Gusto ko try black friday pero I have to work tsk.. Happy Thanksgiving to ya and your family. God Bless! :)

~Mheldz said...

banot,
Actually 5 lang kami magce-celebrate kaya marami talaga left over. Christmas in the Phils is THE BEST, wlang tatalo lalo na if u have plenty of dough to spend and you have all your family with you to celebrate. Masayang masaya lahat di ba :) Bring us lots of pics ok.

Anah,
buti ka pa may inlaws na magluluto , ako wla eh kaya ako ang incharge. Gusto ko din na maging tradition ng family ko ang celebrating the Thanksgiving with good food and being together.

Happy Thanksgiving sa inyong lahat :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a lot of work Mel, goodluck! Kami makikikain lang, LOL! We're supposed to be driving up the mountain passes today but we postponed it and decided to just travel early tomorrow morning. Kung ako lang masusunod I would rather just stay here and go shopping the next day. Where are you planning to go for black friday shopping? Happy Thanksgiving Day!

Francesca said...

Ba, ang sarap ng T dinner nyo!

pwede ko imbita sarili ko?

Sharrap, parang five star!!!